Wednesday, April 22, 2009

let's make sum noyez

One of my favorite things to do when I'm jamming on my own is making noise; I mean, really just making random, a-melodic noises. Not really notes, mostly just scratching and flicking and scraping about to see what kind of textures and moods I can create.

Adding some echo-delay or modulation effects like phasers, flangers, or wah is usually a necessity to get really cool effects. My personal favorite is to tap on muted strings, creating small clicks that, when delay is added, sound like clockwork. Secondary favorite: doing long, slow pick scratches on the lower strings with wah and delay at the end. Sounds like a rocket going off.

It's nice if I can put some kind of chord set to repeat endlessly on a computer or keyboard, and put the noises on top of that to add some interesting color to extended length chords that may have been a bit boring on their own.

What's been really fun is playing with other people who'll do the same thing. Then you can switch doing the noise and playing the "music".

2 comments:

Scott757 said...

Yea...that's the idea.

Anonymous said...

I like trying to play with really old strings. All the scuz on them sounds cool when you play.

O wait, actually I don't like playing with old string.

Never mind...